I am interested in recipes that are quick to prepare and that can be used as pre- and/ or post-workout meals. This recipe is just that: easy to prepare, you can have it anytime during the day or night, it is nutritious and tasty.
Upgrade plain scrambled eggs by mixing in sauteed peppers, black beans, and a little cheddar cheese. The beans add a protein boost — 7 grams per half-cup — and they’re high in disease-fighting antioxidants and fiber. As a bonus, you’ll get immunity-boosting vitamin C from the peppers.
The recipe has been adapted from two articles I read viz. ‘Black Bean Scramble’ which is item number 10/17 in Fill Up Early: 15 Ways to Get Protein at Breakfast and Black Bean Scramble
Based on the a.m. I have put-together ‘Tony’s Black Beans Scrambled Eggs’. Try it sometime – simply delicious!
|Servings||Prep Time||Cooking Time|
|2||7-10 minutes||7-10 minutes|
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 2-3 large tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion finely sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground or fresh chili pepper (peri-peri)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin or turmeric
- Cheddar cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, salt, white or black ground pepper, chili pepper, cumin or turmeric and set aside
- add the olive oil, sliced onion and sliced garlic in a nonstick skillet (frying pan) over medium high heat and cook, stirring often until just before the onion and garlic turn a golden brown
- Add the tomatoes, beans and the egg mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring, until the eggs are nearly done
- Add half of the cheese and continue to cook, stirring until the eggs reach the desired consistency
- Transfer to a plate, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and serve.
Featured image: Black Bean Scramble