National Take a Hike Day also known as National Hiking Day is celebrated in the United States and a few other countries on November 17. If you are in Johannesburg do join us at Klipriviersberg on Sunday the 6th November. Wherever you happen to be, go for a hike and celebrate National Take a Hike Day.
Why Hiking Is Good For You
1. Helps Lose Weight
2. Good for Mental Health
3. Good For The Heart
4. Helps Build Leg Muscles
5. Helps Control Diabetes
6. Helps Lower Blood Pressure
7. Hiking Is a Great Social
8. Boosts Your Bone Density
9. Boosts Your Mood
10. Opens Your World To New Experiences
History Of National Take A Hike Day
Hiking, while a major part of our culture today, wasn’t always the ubiquitous weekend warrior activity it is today. Prior to Walden, Thoreau and John Muir there were Romantic and Transcendentalism movements, art and cultural shifts to the natural order and time spent being outside. This was probably a reaction to the Industrial Revolution, train schedules, 90 hour work weeks and other.
The idea of taking a hike turned romantic and peaceful.
Since the 1800s with the United States leading the western world, hiking has steadily built into the hobby that it is today. This is especially true in the early 1900s to mid-century, as technological innovations allowed us to push ourselves further and accomplish more in the fields of mountaineering and hiking.
Furthermore, the popularity of rock climbing helped propel hiking deeper into the cultural vernacular as most climbing areas require a small hike to reach. Hiking is, in many ways, a gateway drug to other, stronger versions of outdoorsmanship. Skiing, rock climbing, and canyoneering are all just things to do along trail in many parts of the world.
National Take A Hike Day Activities
On National Take a Hike Day, the American Hiking Society can recommend a variety of vacation options. Many trails require regular maintenance, debris cleared, or small buildings constructed. At the end of the day, everybody shares stories around the campfire.American Hiking Society
- Decide on where to hike. Even if responsibilities don’t allow you to take a trip in the near future, make a plan to go when you do get the time. In the United States, the National Trail System covers all 50 states. You can take a short hike or you can go on a hike for two or three days. It’s up to you.
- Take a volunteer vacation. In a volunteer vacation you give something back. On National Take a Hike Day, the American Hiking Society can recommend a variety of vacation options. Many trails require regular maintenance, debris cleared, or small buildings constructed. At the end of the day, everybody shares stories around the campfire.
- Blog about your hike on social media. Blogging about something beneficial and important like hiking may get you some attention and make you feel terrific. Take pics and post (on your return, of course) about your hiking experience. Share on all the social media platforms including Instagram and Facebook.
Did You Know
Prospective homebuyers seek out nearby hiking trails.
Prospective homebuyers seek out nearby hiking trails over security systems, golf courses, and neighborhood parks.
It Leads to skiing
Hiking inspires both skiing and snowshoeing as new sports.
It enhances your taste buds
Hiking reportedly enhances your taste buds by 35 percent on the trail — boosting the flavors of energy bars and freeze-dried foods.
This article was based on National Take a Hike Day – November 17, 2022