This delicious pumpkin and lentil soup recipe is perfect anytime of the year and is also a great recovery meal.
Why not rustle up former GB Rowing Team chef Omar Meziane’s delicious pumpkin and lentil soup recipe?
Not only is it the perfect recipe to keep you warm over the winter months, but pumpkin has many health benefits. A cup of cooked pumpkin contains more potassium than a banana, which is great to ease your muscles back into action after a heavy workout.
Pumpkin and Lentil Soup
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
½ cm piece of ginger
½ red chilli
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 celery stick
100g red lentils
200g pumpkin, peeled and de-seeded
1 pinch nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 wedge lime
2 tsp. soured cream
1. Finely slice the onion, chilli, garlic and ginger. Roughly chop the pumpkin and celery.
2. Heat a heavy based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the olive oil, and toss in the garlic, ginger, chilli and onion. Cook for 4-5 minutes without colouring.
3. Now add the pumpkin and celery along with the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Cook for 1-2 minutes (don’t let the spices burn).
4. Add the lentils to the pan and cover with water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn down to a gentle simmer and leave for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils are cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
5. Leave the soup to cool slightly before transferring to a food processor and blending until smooth.
6. To serve the soup, re-heat and divide between two serving bowls. Add a tsp of soured cream to each and a squeeze of lime juice.
This recipe originally featured in BritishRowing.org >
2 thoughts on “Make your own Pumpkin and Lentil Soup – Great Recovery Meal”
Mmmmm. Just love pumpkin. Yummy soup?
Yummy😋 definitely Gloria! and… anytime of the year👍