The Kensington Heritage Walk 2018 “Rand Lords Heritage Walk” was well attended and enjoyed by all.
Jan Whitehead, a long time resident of Kensington wrote: “The walk was very well received by a number of people, not familiar with the area’s Heritage, they remarked that it was the first time that they were seeing these hidden gems. They loved the Lion House interior and exterior, the Chapel of Kensington Clinic and Martin Ledwaba’s short talk at the Jeppe High School for Boys Hall visit. Two of the group were Jeppe old boys, and remembered him, and he could remember one of them from the early seventies. We concluded at the Kensington Club with drinks and boerewors rolls”.
A BIG thank you to everyone who contributed in many different ways: the Organisers and Hosts Isabella Pingle and Jan Whitehead; Jan Whitehead and Pieter Mattheus for all the great photos; Paul Vermeulen and Management and Team of the various Institutions visited viz. the Kensington Bowling Club, Lion House, Kensington Clinic, Jeppe High School for Boys; Martin Ledwaba of Jeppe High; Charlotte Dreyer van Vuuren for promoting the event on her much respected and popular Facebook Group “We Love Kensington” and lastly but certainly not least to everyone who participated in the walk. Thanks to all!
For a bit of Kensington history please scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Participants commented that the walk was fun, informative and that the boerewors were tasty.
A bit of Kensington history
Within a few years of the discovery of gold in 1886, and following the Anglo Boer War, Kensington became a prestige residential suburb particularly for mine managers and middle class English, Scottish, Irish, Afrikaans and Jewish residents and later Greek, Italian and Portuguese. Streets in Kensington all have British names.
Interestingly the first Europeans to arrive on South African shores were neither the Dutch nor the British but the Portuguese. The Portuguese discovery of the sea route to India was undertaken under the command of Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama during the reign of King Manuel I in 1497–1499.
Named after Kensington Gardens (London), Kensington is one of the oldest suburbs in Johannesburg. It was founded in 1897 by Max Langerman.
Sir Herbert Baker left many landmarks in South Africa as well as in India including the Union Buildings in Pretoria and Parliament House in New Delhi.
In present-day Kensington all races and people of different faiths live in harmony. Challenges including street safety and litter are being actively addressed by many members in the Community.
Young Professionals are purchasing property in the area and renovating their new assets as property in Kensington is more affordable than in Northern Johannesburg.