A Flavor-Packed Bean Recipe – Tuscan Vegetable Soup
Makes 12 small bowls of soup (or 6 large bowls)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
- 14.5-ounce can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups diced (1/2-inch pieces) carrots or baby carrots
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth can be substituted)
- 3 cups diced (1/2-inch pieces) potato
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 cups zucchini, sliced into half-moons (cut zucchini in half, then cut into slices)
- 15-ounce can red kidney beans (white kidney beans can be substituted), rinsed and drained
Shredded Parmesan cheese (about a tablespoon per serving)
How to Prepare
1. Heat olive oil in large, nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, thyme, and garlic and leave for about 3-5 minutes.
2. Stir in the cabbage, the canned, stewed tomatoes (including liquid), celery, and carrots, and leave for 8-10 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, potatoes, fresh basil, zucchini, and kidney beans and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover saucepan, and let simmer about an hour.
3. Spoon into soup bowls and top each serving with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
Per serving without Parmesan cheese (if 12 per recipe): 138 calories, 7 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 3 g fat (0.9 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 113 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 17%.
Per serving with Parmesan cheese (if 12 per recipe): 168 calories, 10 g protein, 24 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat (2.4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 241 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 25%.
Source: Beans: Protein-Rich Superfoods >